Monday, January 23, 2012

Sweet memories


Yesterday, Kevin and I celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary. I can't believe it has been seven years - time really does fly when you are having fun!
When planning the wedding, I had a whole snowflake theme going. The invitations had snowflakes, the guests had sugar cookies at their seats in bags with snowflakes on them, and the favor was a snowflake cookie cutter with a sugar cookie recipe on the back.... I thought it was a really cute idea since our wedding was in January. Weeell, apparently Mother Nature thought the snowflakes were great too because we had a blizzard that day - about 20 inches of snow! So we really got our winter wedding!!

Snowflake Cookie Cutter favor
Snowflake treat bags

Even the wedding cake had snowflakes on it!


Despite the snow, we had a wonderful day with lots of happy and funny memories! (One of our bride's maids slipped on a puddle of water on the dance floor while walking in during the bridal party announcement and the photographer captured each moment of the fall - she was not hurt thankfully- just a bit embarrassed!) Everything about that day was great and we have a lot of sweet memories which brings me to the sugar cookies (nice tie in right? lol).
I decided to make the cookies from the recipe on the back of the snowflake cookie cutter favor as an anniversary treat. I cannot believe I have not made them before, they are delish!

Here is the recipe:

Snowflake Sugar Cookies

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup softened butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 egg
2 1/2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
(I was out of cream of tartar so I omitted the baking soda and added 2 teaspoons of baking powder instead)

-Mix powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, almond extract and egg.
-Stir in remaining ingredients.
-Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
-Preheat oven to 375 degrees
-Divide dough into halves.
-Roll each half 3/16" thick on a lightly floured board.
-Cut into shapes (in my case snowflakes) and sprinkle with granulated sugar (I used some Wilton Sparkling Sugar that I had on hand)
-Place on lightly greased cookie sheet.
-Bake until edges are light brown 7-8 minutes
-Makes about 5 dozen cookies*

*I only used half of the dough and put the other half in the freezer, so I only made 20 cookies. I also rolled the dough out thicker than the recipe suggests. So depending on the thickness of the cookie and the type of cookie cutter you use will depend on the number of cookies you bake.

Hope you enjoy these sugar cookies as much as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for the awesome comments!