Thursday, January 19, 2012

Sewing through the Decades - Project Run and Play week 3

It is week three over at Project Run and Play and the challenge for this week is Sewing Through the Decades. I did not participate in last week's Boys Week challenge due to a wicked stomach flu that had me out of commission for four days :( But I am feeling much better and was excited to sew along this week for the at home contest!
I was torn when it came to which decade to use. I like a lot of the styles from the 1940's and 1950's. Very simple and sweet, lots of adorable dress patterns to choose from. While browsing the internet for inspiration, I came across patterns on Etsy from the 1960's and decided to go with that decade. I did not choose the "hippie" inspired part of the decade but more the early sixties. I described the type of dress I wanted to make (a drop waist dress with box pleats) to my mom and she said it definitely sounded like something she would have worn in the early part of the 60's.
My inspiration came from this pattern that I found but I decided to add a Peter Pan collar and a bit more ric rac and ribbon trim to the waist. I used pink plaid fabric that I bought at Joann's over the summer for no real reason other than I thought it was cute - I tend to do that a lot! Since the plaid was very thin, I lined the bodice with some white cotton and doubled the fabric on the skirt. I am pretty please with how the dress came out since I drafted the pattern myself - a BIG accomplishment for me. I am petrified of making my own patterns. I am so afraid that the pattern will not come out right and then it won't fit once it is all sewn together. I follow the blog Craftiness is not Optional and Jess has some great tutorials for making dresses and giving you instructions on how to make your own pattern using a well fitting t-shirt of your child's. Thank you Jess for making this less scary for me! 
So after about three days of sewing I was able to put together this 1960 inspired drop waist dress with box pleats!

Ta-da!


 
Peter Pan collar with ric rac trim

up-close of sleeve with ric rac trim

Box pleats and ribbon and ric rac trim on waist

back of dress

Miss Erin very excited to wear her new dress!

I could not resist another yo-yo flower hair clip!

Dancing around - it was the "swinging sixties" right?


Erin announced she was tired and had enough pictures! lol

 Hope you enjoyed my dress for Sewing through the Decades!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for the awesome comments!