Thursday, April 12, 2012

Project Run and Play Season 4 Sew Along - Week 1



Woohoo! Season 4 of Project Run and Play began this week! I am so excited to see what the contestants come up with. I just love this series and love that the readers get to sew along!
During season three, I participated in week one and week three and had so much fun. For week one this season, the challenge is a remix of Dana's Circle Skirt.. This is such a cute skirt with very easy to follow directions. I see a lot of circle skirts in Erin's future ;)
To remix this pattern, I decided to make the skirt with ties that came out from the center of the waistband so that you could tie a bow around the front or back of the skirt. I thought this would be a fun little option and a cute way to dress up a simple skirt.
I used some pretty Denyse Schmidt fabric that I purchased at my local Joann's. The floral fabric is Sugar Creek Floral Meadow and the polka dots are Fairground Dots blue/green.  I cut out the skirt according to Erin's measurements, the pieces for the ties (26" long by 4" wide) and a piece to create a casing for the elastic waist band (24" long by 4" wide). For the ties, I wanted to add a little interest to the ends so I drew a diagonal line from the top of the folded in half tie to the bottom and sewed a stitch down the line to create a point. Then I clipped the extra fabric and turned the ties out.



I took the raw edges of the ties, folded them down a 1/4 inch then another 1/4 inch and sandwiched them in between the elastic before sewing the elastic together.

I then followed the rest of Dana's instructions to attach the skirt to the elastic waist band. Instead of hemming the skirt, I encased the raw edge in some lime green bias tape.


I think the skirt came out pretty cute! And Erin just loves it!! That's what counts the most =)





Perfect skirt for twirling around

and around
and around

and around!

Tada!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for the awesome comments!