Friday, February 8, 2013

PR&P Week 5: Men's shirt refashion



This week's challenge over at Project Run and Play was to refashion a men's dress shirt into an outfit. I have a few shirts of both my husband's and my dad's in my refashion pile so access to shirts was not the problem, what to make was. I was just not sure what I wanted to do with the shirts and as a result I started my refashion too late and missed the sew along linky deadline - seems to be a theme of mine this season! With all the snow in the forecast for this week it made me long for warmer weather, beaches and sunshine so I decided to make a "resort wear" refashion using one of Kevin's shirts for a top and another shirt for some Capri pants!
I used the Oliver and S Popover sundress pattern to make a tunic length shirt. I wanted to keep the button down look so I cut out the back pattern using the front of the shirt with the button placket. I also cut out the back yoke using the button placket as well so the whole back of the dress was able to button. The back yoke was definitely a challenge and it was not until I was sewing it together that I realized I could have done it a much simpler way. Oh well, sew and learn right? Since the back of the dress buttoned all the way, I decided to make full straps out of the bias tape instead of the tie straps(I made the bias tape myself from scraps of the button down shirt that I used for the Capri pants - go me using my stash lol) I added a little bit of lace trim to the front yoke for some interest.

Original shirts

Back of dress with button placket
Lace trim
For the Capri pants, I used an old work shirt of Kevin's and the Carina Gardner Playdate Outfit pattern. I have used this pattern a couple of times so the pants came together quick which was nice after the trouble I had with the top.




Erin had fun modeling her new outfit and really can't wait to wear it for real. She loves the summer!
Cutest little hitchhiker I've ever seen!


Adventure awaits!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for the awesome comments!