Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Recipe: Avocado Chicken Salad





Sunday night for dinner, my husband bbq'd a delicious beer can chicken. It was one of the best chickens that he has ever cooked - very moist and flavorful. It was the first time he tried preparing chicken that way and it is definitely something we will have again! Since we are only a family of four with two littles 4 and 2 (who are VERY picky eaters!) we had a good amount of leftovers. Usually when we roast a chicken, I use the leftover chicken to make a pot pie. Since it is way too hot for using the oven, I needed another way to use the chicken and wanted something different. To Pinterest I went and found a delish recipe for BBQ Chicken and Avocado Quesadillas. Since we did not use bbq sauce when we first made the chicken, I simply shredded some chicken and mixed it up with our favorite bbq sauce and then assembled everything. These quesadillas were delicious and a great way to use the leftover chicken but...I still had more chicken left over! Not a lot but enough to use for another small meal for sure.
So this afternoon when I was trying to decide what to have for lunch, I thought of the chicken and the extra avocado that I had and again went to Pinterest - ha! I found a few tasty looking recipes but I did not want to leave the house to go buy any extra ingredients. I just wanted to use what I had on hand. This is the recipe that inspired my avocado chicken salad. I thought I would share how I made mine but of course you could always search Pinterest just as I did for other yummy ideas :)

Avocado Chicken Salad

(Adapted from a recipe found at Becoming Betty)

1 cup of shredded chicken

1 avocado diced

Juice from 1/2 a lemon (lime would be really good too)

1 small Roma tomato diced

1-2 tablespoons of mayonnaise

salt and pepper to taste



Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Serve in a wrap with lettuce and enjoy!



I used only about half of the chicken salad in my wrap for lunch today so I guess it serves two. I am looking forward to having the rest tomorrow. I think I might try it on some whole wheat toast :)



Thanks for stopping by!

Meghan



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for the awesome comments!