Monday, January 13, 2014

An exciting start to the year!

Happy New Year everyone!! Hope you all had a great start to the year. Things have been busy trying to get back into the swing of school after having two extra days off due to the snow that hit us here in the Northeast, my niece turned one (ONE!!)  and I had a pattern testing gig to start of the year (more on that later this week!) And to add to the excitement....Erin lost her first tooth this weekend!

The tooth had been wiggly for awhile but not real loose. I really thought I had another two or three weeks before it would come out. But no, on Friday night I was at a spin class (first one ever it was intense!) and Kevin sent me a picture of a grinning little lady missing a tooth! She was building Legos with Jack and used her teeth to separate two Legos and out the tooth popped! I was so excited for her and a little sad that I missed it! I didn't get home until after the kids were in bed, so Kevin told Erin that the tooth fairy would come the following night since mommy didn't get to see the tooth or hear the story of how she lost it. He is a good man that husband of mine! Especially since the poor kid had no where to put the tooth since mama has been slacking in the sewing of the tooth fairy pillow department! I drew up a template of a tooth months ago in preparation of making the pillow. I just never cut it out. The great procrastinator - that's me! Something I should really work on in 2014.

So since the tooth fairy was going to be a day late, it gave me the chance to make the pillow that I had planned out months ago.  It was a pretty quick sew and the result is cute. Not really what I had envisioned but that's what I get for procrastinating. Erin likes it so I'm not going to beat myself up too much.

The Details:
Pattern: self drafted
Fabric: old white pillow case, scrap of fabric for pocket and purple tulle
Trims/Notions: black fabric paint and poly-fill
The pillow was super easy to make. Just cut out two pieces of tooth shaped fabric from the white pillow case and added a little pocket to the back piece. I folded a piece of 6" wide x 40" long tulle in half width wise and then ran a gathering stitch along the raw edge. I gathered the tulle to the desired length then stitched it to the front side of the tooth. I used a tight zig zag stitch to create the mouth. I put the pieces right side together and sewed around leaving a small opening so I could stuff it with poly-fill. Then I sewed up the opening and painted on the eyes.
I did try to sew eyes onto the pillow using some black fabric but the zig zag stitch around the fabric looked terrible so I just decided to paint them on instead. The eyes and mouth are not perfect and not really what I wanted. I forgot to add some stabilizer to the back and the mouth came out a little wonky. I had wanted to use embroidery thread for the eyes and mouth but I was out of pink and since I needed the pillow to be done for that night, I didn't have time to run out and get some. Oh well. Maybe this will teach me not to procrastinate - yeah right - I'm hopeless ha! 
Well not that hopeless - while I was cutting out Erin's pillow, I did cut out one for Jack too. Hopefully I sew it before he starts losing teeth! But there are other projects in the works so I am forced to procrastinate ha!
Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for the awesome comments!