Thursday, May 10, 2012

Project Run and Play Week 5: Movie Challenge







For the week 5 challenge at Project Run and Play, the designers had to pick a movie and make an outfit based on that movie. It could be a replica of an outfit worn by one of the characters or just inspired by the theme of the movie. I had a bit of trouble deciding on what movie I wanted to go with for this challenge. I wanted to recreate an outfit that Erin could wear everyday. I didn't want it to be costumey (I don't even think that is a real word). I really wanted it to be cute and wearable. The kids recently watched Charlotte's Web, the live action 2006 version with Dakota Fanning. I just love that book and Erin just loved the movie! (Jack not so much - he did like Wilbur though. He would yell "piggy oink oink" each time he raced into the room and looked at the TV for 2 seconds!)
Anyway, since Erin took such a liking to the movie and she is on a yellow kick, I decided to recreate the dress Dakota Fanning's character Fern wears at the fair the day Wilbur gets his medal. It is an adorable yellow dress with ruffles - right up Erin's alley!


source
 I made the dress out of some yellow gingham that I had purchased at Joann's for last week's challenge and never used. I created a lined bodice and attached a simple gathered skirt to the bottom. To create the ruffles, I cut six strips that were each 40 inches long by 3 inches wide. I then attached two strips together so that I would have three strips total. I then hemmed each strip and ran a gathering stitch down each one to create the ruffles. After attaching the ruffles to the skirt, I added some white rick rack across the seam. I also added white rick rack to the neckline then sewed a piece of yellow bias tape over the top.
This dress was definitely time consuming due to the ruffles but Erin just loved it and I think it looks adorable on her and pretty true to the original.


Erin's Fair Dress

close up of neckline


ruffles


back of dress - I used red buttons for a pop of color




Erin and "Wilbur"




Radiant!

Terrific!

humble
I hope you enjoyed my take on Fern's Fair dress! Don't forget to stop over at Project Run and Play to see what the designers came up with this week and to vote for your favorite look!

1 comment:

Thanks so much for the awesome comments!